Thursday 29 December 2011

the thrill of slowing down

pic from madebygirl

This is my first experience of 'summer holidays' and I have to admit that I quite love them. Early mornings sprawl into warm & slow afternoons. The afternoons trickle into still, reflective evenings where the night air is gentle & doesn't bring with it the doom of the next day at work. I feel fiercely lucky to have such an experience & definitely don't allow myself to forget the feeling of returning to the daily grind straight after Christmas. I used to watch oblivious dawdlers saunter into wherever I may have been working at the time and feel an awful envy. They strolled around blissfully with watch-less wrists, browsing and moseying while I grumbled internally behind the counter. I shouldn't have been silly about it because now I've got my turn & I am trying to make the most of every precious second. Being an early riser, I am able to squeeze a lot of hours from the day & today has been one of my favourites. Mr man & I hopped in the car & headed for the shady green Adelaide hills. We trotted around, looked in some b e a u t i f u l bookshops & ate a late brekky at a darling cafe under the trees. I didn't intend on writing about the day but happened to take a quick few snaps before we headed home. 


we may or may not have found some amazing secondhand books to bring home...!


such a beautiful summers day beneath these incredible trees


Petunias? Yes please!

Recently, I have begun to recognise that I possess an annoying habit of getting cross with myself when I have a day where I don't 'achieve anything'. I am trying to teach myself that it's OK to just plop around sometimes. I really want to enjoy moments of said plopping rather than scolding myself that is has been wasted time. Today, I may not have achieved great & noteworthy things but I am slowly learning to just appreciate a beautiful day, regardless of how much may or may not have been accomplished. I need to remember that I do work hard, I try my best to do the right thing & that I am entitled to a selfish day of not-muchness every now & again. Looking through some incredible books & admiring gorgeous gardens & scenery, today, filled my head with fresh ideas & inspiration. That in itself can never be labelled as wasted time. We are constantly surrounded by the message that 'doing' and 'fast fast fast' is good but I have decided I am flipping that message the bird! That's not to say that life will suddenly become a big lump of nothingness but there is a distinct difference between laziness and quiet recharging of the soul battery!!
Tonight, I am diving headfirst into a big art-space clean out... 'Wait!', you exclaim! 'What about your big boring spiel about it being OK to not DO anything?!'. Well, I am sadly one of those freaks who finds sorting & rearranging cathartic & enjoyable so I'm doing it for that reason alone ;)  My shoebox sized apartment is uncomfortably warm but armed with watermelon & Bon Iver, I should be able to sweat it out! Tomorrow is New Years Eve. The day after is 2012. W o w. It is so nice to say I have a fuzzy feeling about the new year & am determined to make it one full of meaning, drive & passion. 
May you have a loverrrly weekend. And as for this year? Remember the good, learn from the bad & look forward to new adventures with an open heart. Happy New Years Eveing.  
xx



1 comment:

  1. Happy Holiday !!!

    Nice articles. I'm just blogwalking and very happy to stop here. And also give you some comment here.

    Dont forget to give us some your comment into my blog too.

    ReplyDelete